Monday, September 22, 2008

Hallelujah! The Kids are Back in School

The kids are back in school today. Matthew and Brittney thought there would be no Seminary till Thursday, till we got the news at the beginning of Sacrament Meeting that our building now has power. You could almost hear all the moans from the youth. We only had an hour long Sacrament Meeting yesterday since there were 7 wards sharing a tiny building. I kind of liked that scheduling. It's not as good as "off campus Sunday School", but we don't have a Del Taco here(inside joke). Makenzie finally got to give her talk and she did a great job. Her talk was hand written and Brittney asked why she didn't do it on the computer. Well, the power was off when she wrote it and didn't have time to put it on the computer yet.
With school back in you'd think I could get something done, right? Wrong!! I have spent half the day buying stuff to make a homecoming mum for Matthew's date. I had never heard of these till we moved to Texas. It's a southern thing. You take a big fake mum flower and put it on a piece of board with lace around it. You hang ribbons, bells and beads and all kinds of crap off of it. You put things on it that have to do with what they are involved in. Matthew's date is a cross country runner and they don't have any thing for that this year. One Hobby Lobby called another store and that store said they had cross country ribbon, but they didn't when I got there. The bigger and gaudier, the better. The girls actually like big cow bells on them. I don't know about you, but when was a teenager, I don't think I would have liked to walk around the school with a cow bell ringing. They wear them the day of the football game. The girls usually decorate overall and attach this mum to it. Overalls are about the only thing to support it. I will have to take a picture of it when I am done. So much for getting anything done today and tomorrow I get to put this mum together. Wish me luck!

8 comments:

needlenut said...

Off campus Sunday School is now referred to as Adult Sunday School. I remember the mums from last year as we were there. They are a lot of work.
grandma

Karen said...

Good luck with your little project...I can't wait to see the pictures when you are done.

messycook said...

Wasn't off campus Sunday School the Winchell's when we were growing up? At least that's where you drove us to :)

Marti said...

who is messycook?

messycook said...

Otherwise known as your little sister.

Marti said...

I thought so, but wanted to make sure that some weirdo wasn't stocking the blog.

Marti said...

BTW messycook, where's your blog?

messycook said...

Wish I had time to create one. Maybe when I have a few days off. Until then, I'll just read yours.