Sunday, September 11, 2011

September 11, 2001

I just got home from taking Matthew, Brittney and Makenzie to school. I was going to go to the gym to workout, but ran home first to put another load of laundry in. The TV was on and they were reporting about a plane hitting the World Trade Tower. As I watched the news I saw the second plane come in and hit the other tower. At this point I knew this was no accident and that we(our country) were under attack. I was scared and the worst part was Dale was in Syria, yes the one in the Middle East. I started getting phone calls from family members wondering if Dale knew. I tried calling him, but it's not like I could call him on a cell phone, he was in the middle of the desert. I had to call an operator , but the number I had for his room was wrong, well it was right they just added a 1 in front of it. My attempt to reach him failed, although I had a huge phone bill for the multiple times I tried to call. Dale finally called me and he had seen what happened and knew his family would be worried. He was safe, but I sure wish he had been home! The next few days I have never felt so lonely in my life. I had the kids, but I couldn't express to to them how I was feeling and I surely didn't want to worry them, especially with their Father in the Middle East. I would put a brave face on during the day and cry at night. A few days after the attacks, I got a phone call at about 10pm. It was Mrs. Daniel, Matthew's teacher from the 4th grade( Matthew was in 5th, but he played soccer with Mrs. Daniel's son). She asked how the kids were and how I was. She said she thought I might like someone to talk to since Dale was gone. I cried for a few minutes and thanked her for being so thoughtful. I really needed that! I will always remember Mrs. Daniel and her act of kindness. My next concern would be if  flights in the US would resume by time Dale was to come home. Yes, it was! I was always so happy to see him after he was gone for a month, but I can't tell you how happy I was when he got home this time and I was even happier because it was his last trip over there! Life is so much better when Dale is here in it!
Yes I do remember and I can't forget those feelings from that day and the days after.

No comments: